Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A mother.

"I know a name, a glorious name, 
Dearer than any other
Listen, I'll whisper this name to you
It is the name of Mother."

I walked into class rushed, completely unaware of the impact a few short 60 minutes could have on my day. Book of Mormon started out as usual, with a quiz, a lot of mundane questions about which answers can count, and then a session of questions and answers. 

I was distracted, trying to trace the lineage of the Helamans and Nephis through the war chapters and beyond. Bored, I glanced at the clock. We still had an hour to go. I tried to concentrate a little on what was being said as I was thumbing through the chapters in Helaman.Then my teacher asked a question. In every war there is a turning point. Where was the turning point in this war between the Nephites and Lamanites? He put up a powerpoint of the list and order of the cities that the Lamanites conquered and it became obvious that the Nephites were losing pretty darn bad until the Sons of Helaman come onto the scene. "Why did they change the tide of the war? What was it about them?" he asked. And we began to list answers.

They were "firm and undaunted," "they did obey and observe to perform every word with exactness," "their exceeding faith" (Alma 57: 20-21; 25)

And then he asked the next question. "But where had they learned this?" And the answer was obvious.

"And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt, our mothers knew it" (Alma 56:48). And "yea, even according to their faith was it done unto them; and I did remember the words which they said unto me that their mothers had taught them" (Alma 57:21).

He then said "the turning point of this war did not happen when the Sons of Helaman came into the war. It happened years earlier as they were taught at their mothers' knee."

Suddenly my attention was fully riveted on this. Of course I had heard this many times, but never quite this clearly. He shared this quote by President Packer:

"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, 
will it feature the echoes of gunfire – 
or the shaping sound of lullabies?  
The great armistices made by military men – 
or the peacemaking of women 
in homes and in neighborhoods?  
Will what happened in cradles and kitchens 
prove to be more controlling 
than what happened in congresses?" 
President Boyd K Packer 

 We have been told by a Prophet of God that "the most important...work [we] will ever do will be...within the walls of [our] own homes" (Harold B. Lee). We have also been told by Prophets that, if at all possible, a mother should be the one to be with her children at home when they are young. "Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children" (The Family: A Proclamation to the World). "Thus," my teacher continued, "it appears that the most important position anyone can ever hold on this whole entire earth is that of a mother."

I was feeling pretty humbled at this point. I am a woman with the potential to become a mother. It is a dream I have had my whole life. But who am I to claim such an important title, such a responsibility? Will I ever be ready for this vitally important work?

Appearing to move on to another subject, my teacher then began to address the concept of dissenting within ourselves. He said "after studying the war chapters, I believe that the way we dissent within ourselves is when there is a part of us that wants to follow God but still a part of us that wants to follow the world. That is when there is dissension within us." Or in other words, we believe what the world is telling us while trying to also follow what we know God has told us. But we cannot serve God and mammon. 

Then he moved back to mothers. 

One of the biggest wars Satan is currently waging is the one against mothers. Almost every other position you could have in the world is honored and celebrated. Women in the workforce, in importance positions, as leaders in the community, in political offices are all given praise and attention.  

And then, if you are raising children, the world says "Oh, she's just a mother." Just a mother. When juxtaposed to the truth that motherhood is the most important calling on earth that word 'just' seems pretty ludicrous.

However, when we know that God has commanded us to have children, to have families, but we believe the world at the same time, that is when mothers are robbed of the joy and fulfillment that comes with being a full time mom. 

We have been taught the importance of families, of not putting off having children, that the ideal situation is to have a mother at home while her children are young. But of course that doesn't work all the time. There are exceptions. The most important thing we can do is rally round in support of mothers in whatever situation they find themselves. 

Never say "just a mother."

Find out what the Lord would have you do and move forward with faith. 

I'm frustrated that I can't find the words I would like to express something so marvelous and beautiful. I left that class with a greater determination to prepare myself for this glorious calling which I hope someday will be mine. I am so very grateful to my own mother for the unending sacrifice she performs for her children. And I hope someday to feel the joy that comes in adding to my other names the glorious one of Mother

1 comment:

carrie @ the boonie life said...

Hi. I'm a little teary on this one. This is one of my favorite topics. I think that you expressed it beautifully, Bekah. But I know what you mean: feelings run so deeply on this topic and words are so shallow. Your B.o.M. class sounds like a class that we all should've sat in on.

Being a mother of a big family has always been my dream, too. I love being a mother. It is fun. It is hard. It is glorious. It is challenging. It is amazing. It is frustrating. It is so rewarding. When your time comes, Miss Bekah, you will be the most amazing mother. You have it in you (you have the desire plus you're awesome), you have an amazing mother as an example, and you have your Father in Heaven who supports you all the way!