Friday, October 21, 2011

What has nursing done to me?!

I have always been very much a farm girl. I was tough. Nothing grossed me out--manure? It's just a part of having animals, blood? not a bid deal. I've seen animals die, and although it was sad, I knew it was a part of life. I didn't care about getting dirty--in fact, I almost liked it. 
 
Well, today I had clinical again. And I did a bunch of stuff. I pulled out several IVs (and got blood on a gown--I'm so good at that...), removed two catheters, did an assessment, gave medications, gave a flu shot, watched an ultrasound-guided drainage of a cyst (that was cool), and had a doctor ask me to help him change a dressing and remove a drain (my reaction: "of course I would love to!" thinking to myself "oh my heavens, a doctor just talked to me, an unimportant nursing student!). It was a good day :) And everything I did was very clean--always put on gloves, always used sterile bandages, throw away things that fall on the floor, wash hands often--whenever they feel dirty, and avagard in and avagard out.

Then, when I got home (after I woke up from my nap), I went out to help my Dad with a new cow. She was SO dirty! Apparently the dairy she was at was all cement, and she had slipped and fallen this morning and then couldn't get up on the slippery surface, so we brought her here because she does fine just on dirt. But because she was on the ground all day she was such a mess! I held her rope while Dad sprayed her off with a hose. But all the while I kept wanting gloves. And when my Dad cut her long, stringy, wet, manure-covered tail and handed me the ends to throw away, I could barely grab it because I kept thinking I needed gloves! My Dad found a bloody spot on her back and was feeling it to see what it was, but I could not bring myself to touch it without gloves... And afterwards, when I let go of her rope, I was wanting to avagard so bad! It was ridiculous. It is definitely not because I've become a germaphobe--that's not it. It's just the rules they pound into our head so often that are conflicting with my "farm girl" habits. Never touch anything that could be contaminated without gloves, never touch bodily fluids without gloves, and ALWAYS avagard before and after every and any type of care.

Somehow I'm going to have to figure out how to change out of my "hospital/everything needs to be clean" mode when I'm out on the farm...

No comments: