Monday, November 7, 2011

What power is it?

This past weekend I watched 17 Miracles--a movie depicting a few of the many miracles associated with the Willey Handcart Company. That was the second time I'd seen it. Although there a few things about the way the movie was made that I dislike, it is an extremely moving video. As I watched it for the second time I was again struck with the faith of these pioneers. How did they do it? As I watched, I reflected on my life and how difficult it has been to me these past 3 months. In comparison to what they experienced my trials are tiny! I know that people say that the trials we have today are just as hard but in a totally different way, but honestly? Would I be willing to stand up for what I believe in the face of death? How were they able to continue to have faith and rely on their Heavenly Father when it seemed like He had abandoned them? I hope that I would still have faith if I was in their situation, but I honestly can't say that I know for sure if I would.


Something else that really stood out to me in that movie was how so many of the miracles came after these Saints put forth all their effort. For example, the story of the woman leaving an abusive husband to go to Zion. Her husband was on the train with a gun looking for her, ready to keep his promise that if she tried to leave him he would kill her. She did the only thing she could do and switched hats with the lady sitting across from her. And a miracle occurred--her husband looked directly at her and did not recognize her. 
The story about the biscuit shows this principle as well. This woman with so much faith prayed just for something small to feed her crying children. Suddenly she remembered a biscuit she had saved from their trip across the ocean. It was cold and tiny and hard but she put it in a pot with some water and put it over the fire. She then prayed that this little biscuit could feed her children. When they opened up the pot it was full--that biscuit had multiplied.

But Heavenly Father did not need those women to do those things--He could have created that miracle without one switching her bonnet and without the other warming a biscuit. But He didn't. Why? I've pondered that a lot lately. There must be an extremely important lesson or principle for us to learn by doing our best, giving our all, even if our all is only a tiny biscuit. 


And what about the people who were not healed? The many who instead suffered and died on the journey? Why were they not all given that miracle? Why were some families given a promise that they would all reach Zion, every one of them, when others weren't? I have also pondered the principle of enduring rather than overcoming.This lesson is taught beautifully by Paul:


"And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong" (2 Corinthians 12:7-10, emphasis added).

I don't think I would ever be "exalted above measure," I don't have that worry :) But there must also be something vital to learn from having to endure trials, not getting the answer I want to every prayer. I know that when I am suffering, my prayers get more sincere. When I am struggling, my efforts to draw closer to my Father in Heaven are greatly increased. And maybe that is a reason I don't get what I want, even when it seems like a righteous, pure desire. I have a long, long, way to go, but I pray that I can come to honestly say, "for when I am weak, then am I strong."

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Quincy and I also liked 17 Miracles. A couple of cheesy parts, but overall a powerful movie. I, too, have thought about those in the company who had great faith but did not benefit from miraculous blessings as others did. This makes me think of one of my favorite chapters in the scriptures: Hebrews 11. Most focus on this chapter of scripture to illustrate how great faith brings about great blessings. But I love this chapter because of verses 36-40 where we read about unnamed individuals who had great faith but did not receive great blessings in this life, instead having to wait for them in the next life. Reminds me to have faith not because of what blessings I hope to receive, but because of the great and challenging blessing of being refined.