Saturday, December 3, 2011

Last day of clinical (for the semester)!




Warning; Gross nasty (but super cool) descriptions ahead...

Trying to get a picture of these awesome green scrubs. 
I would've gotten a better one but I was afraid some nurse
would walk into the dressing room and see me and would 
think I was crazy...
Yesterday was the last day of clinical for this semester. Yes! There are mixed feelings, however. Sad to be done and sad that our clinical group is over but so happy that this semester is wrapping up. This next semester will be fantastic too! But yesterday I was in the OR again. And it was really cool. Here are some of the things I was able to see:
  • An actually uterus. And ovaries. I was blown away by how small the uterus was. How in the world does it stretch big enough for a baby to fit inside?! That is such a miracle. The uterus really is one of the most amazing muscles in the human body, I finally agree ;)
  • Lots of cauterized flesh. That was gross. But super interesting how it works. They cauterize all the blood vessels that they've cut to decrease the blood loss. 
  • Fat tissue. This was probably the grossest thing. And the surgeon told me that it is really greasy, making it harder to work with the tools during the surgery. And the tech described in wonderful detail how the balls of "adipose tissue" fall on the floor and make the floor really slippery--hence stiletto heels are the safest thing to wear in an OR. Riiiiight.
  • Lots of stitching. I was so surprised that the surgeon was able to stitch that mess of tissue back up, making it actually look how it's supposed to look after removing such large amounts of fat. 
I use all of these books at least once a week.
And other random happenings....
  • The surgeon asked me if I was from a polygamist family when he found out (because he asked--I don't usually go around telling strangers about my big family) that I was the 7th of 13. 
  • They asked me if I wanted to put in a catheter into a teenage boy. Luckily they were joking and didn't really need to put a catheter in. Phew! 
  • The hospital environment can be SO horrible! That is my biggest complaint with nursing. Some of the people are so crude and disrespectful and I felt super uncomfortable. Thankfully they told me they were trying to be more careful with their language when they found out I was a BYU student.

These books were definitely mainstays for almost every assignment. Especially the drug guide...
 
And that was my day at the hospital. The last for a few weeks. But we start the 1st day of school at our new clinical site. And we're doing pediatrics and labor/delivery. I am so excited. You don't even know :)

No comments: