Monday, January 30, 2012

Thai food, The Merchant of Venice, & Park City

Thursday afternoon I tasted Thai food for the first time in my entire life. I have eaten Indian food (which seems basically the same to me ) 3 or 4 times before, but never Thai food. Having never been a curry fan, I was slightly nervous how much I would actually like it. But to my surprise I liked it a lot. Yay! I had Massaman curry. The combination of curry + peanut + potatoes + rice + chicken + coconut was a little strange to my taste buds but it was really yummy nonetheless. I had more fun than I thought I would and I can now say that I like Thai food :)



Friday evening I took my first test of the semester. And guess what? I got a 98%! I only missed one! Oh yeah, it was New Testament. But still! Then I met up with Taylor and we went to The Merchant of Venice. It was adapted to elementary aged children and, because the other seats were sold out, we got to sit on the floor with the chillins. It was great :) Quite a strange choice of play to adapt to a young audience though. But it made me think about how we view minorities. Who got the just treatment in the play? Why did Shakespeare chose to make the minority character the bad guy while making it seem okay for the other characters to mock and ridicule and scorn him?
Anyway... Then we went to his house and made waffles. And ate them, of course. And then played a couple card games and then just talked. And I realized that sometimes I tell really random things to boys that I don't know all that well. It was rather weird. I probably should learn to be less open... But I like talking a lot. And I like card games. And I like waffles. So it was good all around. :)





Saturday I took my second test of the semester: Pediatrics. And I was extremely blessed to get 90% when I really deserved like a 70% for how much I was able to study. (Maybe I should set the goal to get in the 90%'s for every test this semester... Looking at last semester that would be a BAD, unreachable goal. But last semester I definitely did not get a 98% on my first test. We'll see).


Then Brian picked me up and we drove up to Park City. I have never been there, so this was another first for me. We walked along Main St and looked into different shops, during which I realized a few things: 1). I definitely grew up in Utah. While some people would think that my sheltered childhood would result in me being shocked by dirty language, in actuality it resulted in me being completely oblivious to it. I did not even realize that the boys behind us were swearing up a storm until Brian said something about it. Whoops! 2). My shoes are NOT winter proof. My feet were f.r.e.a.z.i.n.g. So much so that they hurt really bad when we went into the Church's Family History center up there and started thawing out. Oh, btw, who knew they had a Family History Center in Park City? Interesting...

On the way back we started talking about missions and life and how it never goes as planned and I started to cry! Dang it. Sorry Brian. But he was super nice about it and it was so good to hear someone so sure of the fact that Heavenly Father really does want us to be happy, and not confused, and to know that He loves us. And that He really will answer my prayers.
Then we went to get pie at Village Inn. Oh yeah, I'd also never been there, so that was another first this weekend. Sweet. And the pie was good (I got strawberry rhubarb), and I realized how much I just really like car rides and the company of people who make me feel comfortable being totally myself. It was great. Thanks Brian!


Sunday was a good learning day for me. The talks and the lessons were exactly what I needed. And I started new goals and I'm going to be a better member of my ward, a better visiting teacher, and a better choir director. I don't know about you, but I would really like all those blessings that come with magnifying your calling. And I'm going to spend at least 10 minutes in the Book of Mormon every day. Preferably in the mornings.

I'm not ready for another week yet but it's here anyway. And I'm going to do my best to make it the happiest, most positive, most productive week yet!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

1. You are a dating machine these days.

2. You forgot to mention that your 98% was probably all due to me quizzing you. :)

3. I'm glad you used the phrase "up a storm." So great. :)

Beka said...

1. completely the same as Michelle's comment. girl hook a sista up! ha ha

2. you had NEVER been to park city?! It's probably my favorite city in utah

3. where did you get that Thai food? I love thai food!