Monday, December 3, 2012

Once I got a mission call

On Wednesday, November 28th I received my mission call. Because of school and work and clinical and dance I wasn't able to open it until about 9:00 pm. Most of my family was there, either in person or on skype. It almost seems like a dream to look back at it. I had had a long day, I was tired, and I was so very excited to see where I was going to be called to serve. 

I opened it in the kitchen: 


I pulled out the packet, then pulled out the letter. It was upside down. As I turned it over I caught a glimpse of the word "Long" before I could cover it up. I hurried and covered it and then began reading from the top.

"Dear Sister Andelin,

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the California Long Beach Mission.

It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months. You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, February 27th. Prepare to preach the gospel in the English language."

I was...surprised. I had really wanted to learn a language. If I was going to serve stateside I thought for sure I would go to the East Coast. Also, I have never loved California very much. But as I continued reading the letter I felt such a peace and an enveloping of Heavenly Father's love. I know I was called to serve in the California Long Beach Mission. That is where the Lord wants me to be. As I have continued to learn about my mission I have gotten more and more excited.


As you may know, happiness has been something I care lots about. I mean, everyone does. But I've thought and studied and written about it a lot. Thus, this is one of my favorite parts:

"The Lord will reward you for the goodness of your life and greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you."

As you can tell from the video below, that kind of meant a lot to me...

I am so excited to go serve the Lord. Ever since receiving my call my perspective has changed dramatically. I have been more acutely aware of my weaknesses and imperfections. I have had so many questions. And I have had fears about my inadequacies. But I also have seen how the Lord is so perfectly aware of me. I have had guidance given that perfectly matches what I need. I have gained a much greater testimony of the inspired origin of Preach My Gospel. I hope that as I continue to prepare I will gain a greater testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ, of His atonement, of the principles of the gospel, and of the importance of the work that I will be doing. I am reminded of what it says in the Living Christ, "God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son."


If you are so inclined, here is the video of the actual thing :) sorry about the wrong direction. I forgot to tell Sarah to film it the right way up. And I don't know how to fix it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDoicZbxosk&feature=youtu.be


3 comments:

Joanna Freeman said...

yeah!!! So happy for you!

The Mrs. said...

You are not going to be too far from us, here in Reno! We are so excited for you!


Jamee
xoxo

carrie @ the boonie life said...

Yay!! So fun watching your video of you opening it! You are so cute. You are going to be such an amazing missionary. :)