So yesterday I had surgery. It was definitely an adventure. It was so weird to be on the other side of the picture this time :) I have seen many many surgeries and watched people get intubated and put to sleep, and then watched the surgeon work on them. He makes a big bloody mess, and then they clean up the patient and send them into the PACU. I had seen all this happen multiple times.
So when they wheeled me into the OR I was kinda weirded out. I knew what was going to happen and I was scared of the intubation part. That is totally the worst. I was also dreading coming out of anesthesia. But thanks to all the prayers offered in my behalf, the blessing Dad gave me, and the skill of the medical team it wasn't bad at all.
I was super loopy when I woke up. I think I asked my nurse the same thinks like 8 times. But I'm not sure because I can't really remember much of that. I was super happy when I woke up. It was like euphoric. I was thinking to myself "of course I can go back to school and work tomorrow. What was the doctor thinking?"
I left the PACU and they wheeled me back to my little room where Mom was waiting. I was just talking and feeling fine until 20 minutes after I left the recovery room. And then it all the sudden hit. I was nauseated, I had a headache, I could tell my BP was super low and I just felt miserable. I was completely out of it. My blood pressure dropped to the low 80's over the low 50's which isn't that great/ I was pasty white (even more white than usual if you can imagine that... ;) and my nurse thought I was going to faint.
But they gave me 2 L of fluid to help get my pressures up. I think the low blood pressure was caused both by blood loss and because I have never had narcotics before so my body wasn't quite used to those...
But after a few hours I started to feel better again.
This is pretty close to when I almost fainted:
And this is me with my "mustache" bandage.
The nurse told me that now I know what it feels like to be a man...
Thankfully I'm doing a ton better today. I still think I want to go to work if I can convince Dad to let me :)
And through this whole experience I have been so grateful for the amazing friends that I have. When Brittany found out I was having surgery she immediately called me and asked what was up. Rachel, James, Anna, Caleb, Whitney, and Spencer were all praying for me. And James and Rachel got up super early to send me a good luck text. It was so sweet. And then Brittany came over last night and brought me ice cream and just talked. And then Caleb, James, Whitney, and Peter came over to watch Star Wars with me. And they brought me my favorite candy-Reese's peanut butter cups. Best candy ever invented :) I felt so blessed. Thanks guys!
No comments:
Post a Comment