Friday, May 18, 2012

The day I went to Prison

It was an experience.

I've never heard such dirty language. In combination to the CJC conference, I think I've heard all I can handle this week.

I could never work there permanently. I am much too sympathetic and easily deceived. Plus, I don't want to start swearing.

Some of the most intimidating things about it were the doors. One closes before the other can open to let you in. And then the one behind you closes and locks before the next one opens. However, almost the whole entire time I felt perfectly safe. I was with an officer, nurse, or med tech 100% of the time.

I got called a cute little blonde by an inmate.

I drew up a lot of insulin. Good practice, I guess.

I had no idea people could be so ingenious. The things you come up with when you have so much time on your hands...

I saw a whole lot of tattoos. Oh, and I learned how to make a prison tattoo maker. Crazy.

Somehow, as I looked at these people and tried to serve them, I could not reconcile the fact that they were so polite and seemed so normal and human with their awful, horrible crimes. As I looked at them my mind could not fully grasp that these people are the ones that have done the most awful things you ever hear about it. But they are still children of God! I believe they can still be forgiven because the Atonement is infinite. How, I do not know, but God does.

I got some pretty strange looks, a few questions, and a blunt "you guys look like deer in the headlights" comment :)

The inmates were all so different! Some were more reserved, others super outgoing and funny, some were not very respectful, some stared, and some were extremely polite, apologized for their language and tried harder to not swear in front of me. 

I really like officers. I admire them for their willingness to do something so emotionally draining every day. I admire the medical staff that work there. I really appreciated their respect for me as well as for the inmates.

For some strange reason law enforcement has a very real attraction for me. I don't think I'm tough enough to do it. Maybe someday :) 

Overall I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. But I think that is because it is all so new and interesting. If I worked there permanently I think I would not like it at all. But I'm really grateful to at least have the opportunity. I just have quite a bit to process and work through. It was an emotionally draining week, that's for sure!

(I would post more, but I'm kinda afraid of some HIPPA violation or something... Suffice it to say, it was extremely interesting. The end.)

No comments: