Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hurry up already!

Time seems to be dragggggging by these days. Today Brittany and I got ice cream after my lab final (side note-it's one of my favorite things, or my only favorite thing, about nursing labs. They get done a month before finals. Beautiful) and she said "remember how last week we almost ate a whole half-gallon carton of ice cream before practice?" I could hardly believe that was last week. It seemed so much farther away than that. That was the ice cream Taylor bought me and brought to share with Britt. He's super nice like that. Anywho.

I want my mission papers to be turned in already! I just want to know where I'm going! I need to start preparing. Goodness. However, becoming a missionary should not take any more preparation than trying to become the woman God wants me to become. My Bishop talked to me a lot about this. He told me "prepare now for when you get off your mission-retain the same qualities you gain while on your mission." It was really good for me to hear. I need to always be preparing to become a better person, to learn the gospel better, to strengthen my testimony, to get rid of bad habits and to promote good ones.

Speaking of habits-Tyler, my awesome cousin, came and watched the devotional with me. He knew I was going to be lonely as I normally watched it with Taylor. He knows Taylor from his home ward. It's rather interesting how many connections Taylor and I have. But my point was...Tyler and I were talking about my mission. We started talking about the temple. I told him how unprepared I feel. He said that his teacher (or mission pres? I don't remember) told him to remember that he would be able to go to the temple hundreds of times and to focus your first time on your feelings, the spirit, and when you make promises. I thought that was good advice. He also told him that when he wanted to get rid of a bad habit, he would go to the temple and "lay it on the alter" or give it up to Heavenly Father. I thought that was beautiful.

Speaking of preparing for the temple-I don't feel prepared at all! When I almost got married something I really really regretted was not putting the time I should have in preparing myself for the temple. I had spent months planning this big wedding, all the decorations, the food, the dresses, the place, the time, etc. and I had spent no time preparing myself to go through the temple to receive my endowments. I regretted that oh so very much. I ended up not getting married and thus not going through the temple. One of the many emotions I felt was gratitude that I was being given more time to prepare for my Endowment. Now I look at myself and realize I haven't done much better to prepare this time. I still have time. My goals to help with this? Go to the temple weekly. Read Pres Packer's book "The Holy Temple," and ponder my worthiness and really take an inventory of who I am and where I feel I stand in my Father in Heaven's eyes. I'm going to need His help in all of these, but especially the last one. I want so fervently to know how I am doing in His eyes.

Speaking of Heavenly Father, today I was reminded of how involved Heavenly Father is in my life. Not just in spiritual things. I had forgotten that. I have not asked Him for help in school (besides tests) for a long time. I have not asked Him for the confidence I need to be a good nursing student. I have not asked for His help in my exercise goals. I have much to change. How blessed I am to have this reminder.

And now I get to go practice. Wish me luck! 

No comments: