Friday, December 7, 2012

Life is hard. Still.

I've posted this lots of times before, but I have to remind myself every now and again.

One of the classic Grandpa Andersen quotes, that all his children (my parents, aunts and uncles) quote to their children goes something like this:

Life is hard. And then you die.

Most people think that is a very cynical and depressing. But I actually love it. Kyle showed me this, which describes exactly how I feel about it.



"The fact that life is difficult no longer matters." That's my favorite part. Because it is so true. It reminds me of this quote that President Hinckley used in one of his conference talks:
“Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The FACT is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride” (Jenkin Lloyd Jones). 
I used to hate that quote. I thought it was so depressing and marriages should not require a high degree of mutual toleration! But as I have matured ;) I have come to love it. Because again, once we realize that life is difficult, that it is meant to be that way, that trials are normal and universal, then it doesn't matter that life is difficult. Because there isn't another option :) 

I've been struggling with trying not to be angry today. And I've gotten really cynical and thought thoughts like "I learn more about a boy's character by how he reacts when I break up with him than the whole time we were previously dating. Why am I so often disappointed?!"

Someday I will be married and I will get to laugh at all these horrid dating stories. But until then I just need to be positive and happy and realize that I am learning so much from these experiences. Life is beautiful because it is hard. You just have to see the beautiful :) 

1 comment:

Kerri Andersen said...

i love both those quotes! and it is true, a successful marriage does require mutual toleration. But it helps you grow as a person and as a couple, and in the end you are always more in love! :)